Sharing personal information brings people closer together. But how do you know when you’ve gone too far—or when someone else has ulterior motives?
Verified by Psychology Today
How to beat aeroanxiety and more
Tom Bunn L.C.S.W.
The FAA is not a safety organization. It is a political organization. Its job is not to keep you safe in the air, but to make it appear they are keeping you safe in the air.
"Generally speaking, primary care physicians have not received the training that they need to prescribe medications that have such high risk for addiction or overdose."
Being told, “Stop that crying or I’ll give you something to cry about,” doesn't install the app.
The rational way to end panic is not rational thinking. Few can do that. The rational approach is to activate the system that completely stops up-regulation that leads to panic.
Plunge implies no control. Fly implies control. The plane was flown under complete control from its cruise altitude to a lower altitude where pressurization was not needed.
Descartes famously said, "I think therefore I am." But, we do not become a person by thinking. We become a person through psychological mirroring.
The 5-4-3-2-1 exercise is useful, but it's a band-aid to use in a tough moment, not a basic way to deal with anxiety.
When overwhelmed - like a deer in the headlights - only training can stop panic.
Only 17% receiving the most common treatment become panic free. The remaining 83% naturally believe relief is impossible. But a far more effective method is available.
Four steps, if established as a program in the child’s unconscious procedural memory, means she will not be subject to panic.
Therapists can do better than tell panic sufferers they are irrational, or that they should not let panic bother them. Here's how.
Vivid imagination—which feels both anxiety and panic—is due in part to the lack of automatic down-regulation.
But if the mother frightens the baby only once, such as by yelling, when the distressed baby needs calming, insecure attachment results.
The autonomic nervous system's first four letters, A-U-T-O, tells us it should regulate us automatically. When it fails to do so, panic may result. How can regulation be assured?
Though the media can be expected fan the fears of anxious fliers, there is no reason to associate the two crashes.
Is it safe to fly on an airline when union-management strife is going on? The answer is likely yes, one expert argues.
Airlines must keep inspections up-to-date. Otherwise, they would face fines when FAA inspectors review their records when government operation resumes.
What is in your mind is not reality, but rather a representation of reality. If you fail to appreciate that fact, imagination can hijack your mind.
It is as easy - and as intuitive - to deal with unwanted operation of the stabilizer motor as it is to back off the accelerator when you realize you are driving your car too fast.
Why was the fault not cleared by maintenance? Why didn't the crew successfully deal with the fault as the pilots on previous flights had?
Low cost airlines trying to outdo each other at cost-cutting and at growing rapidly. Safety often suffers.
Knowledge can keep a phobic response from developing. But once phobia develops, knowledge is unlikely to alter the response.
Scared of flying? Meeting the captain may help you manage your anxiety.
Once links have been established to inhibit up-regulation and activate down-regulation, arousal is automatically regulated during flight.
"What if" thoughts lead to a cognitive trap. These thoughts release stress hormones that disable the ability to distinguish imagination from reality.
The more we do something, the less anxious we are about doing it. But, for fearful fliers, the reverse can be true. Why?
Flying makes us aware we are vulnerable. To feel safe threats must be controlled. But, when flying, we have neither control nor escape. What can do we to feel safe when flying?
While pilots in the cockpit are bored, some passengers in the cabin fear they are about to fall from the sky. Stress hormones cause feelings that make imaginary danger seem real.
After exposure to traumatic experience, the amygdala's "storage memory cells" are programmed to cause arousal when exposed to the same situation, or a similar one.
Anxious fliers feel safer when in control. Since someone else flies the plane, being informed is as close to being in control as they can get. Information rarely reassures them.
Captain Tom Bunn, LCSW, is an airline pilot and author who has dedicated 30 years to the development of effective methods for treating flight phobia.
Fear of flying can start after a bad flight. It can also start for no apparent reason. Airline captain and therapist Tom Bunn, L.C.S.W. offers his understanding of the cause and the cure of flight difficulties